The Advisory Committee on Degree Awarding Powers (ACDAP) considers applications for degree awarding powers and/or university title (DAP/UT).
Changes to the Committee
In response to new requirements set out in the Higher Education and Research Act, QAA’s Board of Directors approved a comprehensive review of ACDAP’s terms of reference in December 2017.
Three new members were appointed in March 2018 who bring experience from a higher education provider without
The Committee's membership comprises of:
- The Chair (Independent of QAA)
- Two Board members
- Seven members with current or recent UK DAP experience at a strategic and international level
- Two members providing an employer or professional body perspective
- One member with a background in College Higher Education
- One student member
- Two additional members may be co-opted to the Committee to bring other relevant expertise.
In addition, ACDAP invites observers from the following, as appropriate:
- the UK Department for Education
- Welsh Government, Department for Education and Skills
- Scottish Government, Directorate for Advanced Learning and Science
- Northern Ireland, Department for the Economy
- UK higher education funding bodies.
The QAA Chief Executive and QAA Director of Colleges and Alternative Providers attend ex officio.
The Secretary to ACDAP is the Head of Degree Awarding Powers and University Title at QAA.
- Chair - Mr Andrew Ramsay, Former Chief Executive Officer, Engineering Council
- Professor Phil Cardew, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), Leeds Beckett University
- Professor Aldwyn Cooper, Vice-Chancellor and Chief Executive, Regent's University, London
- Dr Vanessa Davies, Director General of the Bar Standards Board ;
- Mr Charles Hunt, Vice-Chancellor, University College of Osteopathy
- Ms Anne Lambert, Board Member Competition and Markets Authority
- Professor Jane Longmore, Vice-Chancellor, University of Chichester
- Professor Lorna Milne, Senior Vice-Principal (Proctor), University of St Andrews
- Mr Luke Myer, Vice President, Edge Hill Students’ Union
- Ms Dorothea Ross-Simpson, Head of Academic Quality and Student Conduct, Keele University
- Professor Alan Speight, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education), University of Hull
- Ms Jenny Taylor, IBM UK Foundation Leader, IBM (UK)
- Professor Philip Wilson, Chief Executive of Conde Nast College and Chair of Independent HE
- Dr Steve Wright, Director of Higher Education, Nelson and Colne College