The duties of the Committee are organised in two distinct parts. The first part is concerned with applications for degree awarding powers and university title from providers in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and from providers in England under the Department for Education 2004 and 2015 criteria. The second part is concerned with assessments made under the Office for Students’ Regulatory Framework in England.
- 30 March 2023
- 29 June 2023
The Committee's membership comprises of:
- the Chair
- two Board members
- six members with current or recent (within the last two years) UK degree awarding powers experience at a strategic level, and/or having senior level responsibility for areas covered by the criteria governing the grant of degree awarding powers or university title
- one member with experience in a higher education provider in England without degree awarding powers
- two members providing an employer of graduates or professional body perspective
- one member from an English further education provider
- one student member, or otherwise representing or promoting the interests of students
- one member with experience of encouraging competition in industry or another sector of society
- members co-opted by QAA Board
Members (between them) also have experience in research into science, technology, humanities or new ideas.
In addition, ACDAP invites observers from the following, as appropriate:
- the UK Department for Education
- the Office for Students
- Scottish Government, Directorate for Advanced Learning and Science
- Northern Ireland, Department for the Economy
- Welsh Government, Department for Education and Skills
- UK higher education funding bodies.
The QAA Chief Executive and QAA Director Quality Assessment, England attend ex officio.
- Chair, independent QAA Board Member * - Dr Vanessa Davies, Former Director General, Bar Standards Board (retired)
- Dr Ernest Caldwell, Senior Lecturer in Chinese Studies and Associate Director for Learning and Teaching, SOAS University of London
- Ms Nina Culpric, Vice-President Education, University of Derby Union of Students
- Mr Damian Day, Head of Education & Quality Assurance, UK, General Pharmaceutical Council
- Professor Ian Dunn, Provost, Coventry University
- Mr Charles Hunt, Vice-Chancellor, University College of Osteopathy
- Professor Neal Juster, Deputy Vice-Chancellor, University of Lincoln
- Professor Jackie Labbe, Deputy Vice-Chancellor, University of Gloucestershire
- Professor Simon Macklin, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Portfolio Development and Global Engagement), University for the Creative Arts
- Ms Leonie Milliner, Director of Education and Deputy Chief Executive Officer, General Optical Council
- Ms Clare Viney, Chief Executive Officer, The Careers Research and Advisory Centre
- Dr Nicola Watchman-Smith, Deputy Director Student Learning, Teesside University
- Dr Harry Williams, Postdoctoral Researcher, Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine
- Professor Philip Wilson, Chief Executive, College of Esports
- Dr Steve Wright, Director of Academic Standards, Nelson and Colne College
*The Committee is chaired by an independent QAA Board member for assessments made under the Office for Students’ Regulatory Framework.