Updates to Subject Benchmark Statements in STEM subjects
|Date:||October 30 - 2019|
We have published updates to Subject Benchmark Statements in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subjects.
Subject Benchmark Statements describe the nature of study and the academic standards expected of graduates in specific subject areas. They show what graduates might reasonably be expected to know, do and understand at the end of their studies.
The STEM Subject Benchmark Statements have been refreshed to ensure that they reflect the 2018 updates to the Quality Code and associated advice and guidance as well as ensuring that our subject level guidance is aligned with current HE reference points. The changes we’ve made in this update do not represent a major change to the content of each Statement. We have not convened subject expert working groups to update these Statements. Instead, the chair or a member of the previous advisory group has confirmed any changes.
The Statements published today are:
- Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry, Food, Nutrition and Consumer Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Computing (Master's)
- Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences and Environmental Studies
- Land, Construction, Real Estate and Surveying
- Mathematics, Statistics and Operational Research
- Physics, Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Town and Country Planning
- Veterinary Nursing
- Veterinary Science (Master's)
To find a particular Subject Benchmark Statement, use our search.
In the next two months, we will publish similar revisions to other Subject Benchmark Statements in batches: Professional Services, and Arts and Humanities.