As a member, you will benefit from being part of a UK-wide membership community that is committed to quality.
We will work collaboratively with our members to:
- address sector-wide challenges including safeguarding degree standards
- maintain the tools to deliver the highest academic quality, including current and relevant standards and frameworks, such as the Quality Code for Higher Education and revised Subject Benchmark Statements
- advance UK higher education’s international leadership in quality assurance and enhancement through our strategic partnership work with agencies across the world
- provide an expert and independent voice on quality and standards.
QAA Membership is driven by its members for its members. As a member your voice can shape our future services through a number of channels including our Membership Advisory Group and network events. You will also have access to a named QAA contact who will keep you updated on the membership activities that we undertake on your behalf and the benefits these bring to the UK higher education sector.
Developing the quality and standards frameworks fundamental to UK higher education, and to our shared approach to quality, enhancement and regulation.
You will benefit from:
- maintaining the frameworks for higher education qualifications and their alignment with international frameworks, such as ensuring continued compatibility and referencing with European qualifications frameworks as part of the Bologna Process
- collaborating with you and industry experts to commence the revision of up to 40 Subject Benchmark Statements and map them to the new Quality Code for Higher Education, ensuring your programmes maintain currency and relevance in light of the Statement of Intent on degree standards
- reviewing the impact of the Quality Code Advice and Guidance
- developing a new characteristics statement for higher and degree apprenticeships.
Working in partnership with the UK higher education sector, QAA will continue to identify and respond to emerging issues to support you in delivering the highest quality experience for your students.
You will benefit from our work with and on behalf of the sector which includes:
- developing clear guidance on degree classifications, degree outcomes statements and other aspects of the Statement of Intent published by the UK Standing Committee for Quality Assessment
- producing guidance that provides solutions to challenges and opportunities for innovation, including updated guidance on embedding sustainability throughout the curriculum and revised credit frameworks
- leading the fight against essay mills and helping your front-line staff detect and deter cheating, and maintain academic integrity
- working with partners, such as the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education, to shape good practice and the development of quality assurance for degree apprenticeships
- research to provide new insight on a subject chosen by our members, a recent example being our work on how student opinion can be used as an indicator of quality
- in England and Wales, our work to promote and develop the Access to HE Diploma which brings over 23,950 students into UK higher education each year, many from underrepresented groups.
Advancing UK higher education’s international leadership and voice in global quality assurance and enhancement.
You will benefit from:
- shaping the development of pan-European approaches to quality assurance through strong links within the European Higher Education Area
- development and maintenance of relationships and partnerships with governments and agencies outside of the UK; extending understanding of the quality of UK higher education, strengthening cross-border cooperation and mutual recognition
- up to four country-specific reports on the landscape and regulatory environment in key countries for UK higher education, supporting your international partnerships and TNE work
- working with strategic countries for UK higher education to shape and align frameworks for TNE, such as Malaysia and Sri Lanka
- planned new international partnership arrangements with Thailand, Nigeria and UAE at federal level, adding to our 14 existing partnership agreements around the world.
On behalf of our members, we will exercise our convening power effectively and strategically to reflect sector views and experiences when developing policy, providing authoritative and credible advice to governments and other key sector bodies.
You will benefit from:
- providing an expert voice on quality and standards to reviews and consultations, the media, and in UK-wide and international forums
- advising and expressing views on quality-related issues to governments, regulators and funding bodies
- working to facilitate students to engage in quality matters.
What's coming up in 2020
Work we will be undertaking for you and the HE sector as part of your membership including:
- New Subject Benchmark Statements - describing the nature of study and the academic standards expected of graduates in specific subject areas.
- In-country reports - providing insights and emerging themes in key countries for UK higher education.
- Viewpoints - reporting on key sector policy lines relating to issues raised by members.
- Research - outcomes from our project on a particular topic chosen by the Membership Advisory Group
We will also publish outputs from the opportunities your membership offers you to engage with us and other members including:
- Degree classification workshops - exploring how to use new sector guidance on degree outcomes statements for providers.
- Networking events - sharing of good practice with quality professionals across the UK.
- Enhancement partnership - universities and colleges working together to produce guidance for all members.
- Membership Advisory Group - working with us to ensure we develop and deliver activities and services that maintain the value and currency of your membership.
Following feedback from providers, existing work related to quality and standards frameworks fundamental to UK higher education will remain on our public QAA website and be available to all. Any revisions to this work will also continue to be published on the QAA website.
Brand new outputs from work in this area will be exclusive to QAA Members and published on our Membership Resources site.
As a member you receive preferential rates for non-member QAA events and services. These include:
- QAA annual conference
- Student engagement events
- Data Matters conference