QAA works with a community of experts in academic integrity from across the UK. The Academic Integrity Advisory Group includes:
- Alex Bols (GuildHE)
- Helen Butcher (Glasgow University)
- Michael Draper (Swansea University)
- Dr Irene Glendenning (Coventry University)
- Will Hammonds (Universities UK)
- Dr Thomas Lancaster (independent consultant)
- Professor Tim McIntyre-Bhatty (Bournemouth University)
- Kevin McStravock (Student Representative)
- Professor Phil Newton (Swansea University)
- Alan Palmer (Million Plus)
- Gill Rowell (Turnitin)
- Jayne Rowley (HEDD/Prospects)
- Helen Smallbone (Edgehill University)
- Lord Storey (House of Lords)
Terms of Reference
The Academic Integrity Advisory Group is engaged in a number of different work streams to help protect academic integrity.
Scoping the potential for legal sanction against essay mill companies
Several jurisdictions have legislated to prevent contract cheating. New Zealand introduced a law in 2011, making it a criminal offence to provide or advertise cheating services. A similar law is being introduced in the Republic of Ireland. Several states in the USA have also introduced legislation against essay mills. A proposed amendment to the Higher Education and Research Act 2017 was tabled by Academic Integrity Advisory Group member Lord Storey, although it was not passed. However, the Westminster Government has said it remains open to considering legislation. The Group is looking at a number of options to propose to UK Governments.
Assessing the impact of QAA's guidance on addressing contract cheating and the use of essay mills
Following the publication of QAA's guidance to higher education institutions in 2017, we are sending a follow-up survey to UK institutions to assess its impact and effectiveness. The survey will also seek suggestions for how the guidance can be updated and improved.
Developing an Academic Integrity Charter
The Academic Integrity Advisory Group are preparing a series of high-level principles to form a charter to which institutions could sign up