We use cookies on this website. If you continue to use the website, we will use cookies to maximise your experience and help us to improve.

To find out more about cookies, how we use them and how to remove them, see our privacy and cookies statement.
safeguarding standards and improving the quality of UK higher education

Frequently Asked Questions

​In this section you will find answers to some common questions about several aspects of QAA's​ work within the higher education section. If your query is still not answered within this page, please get in touch with our QAA Enquiries line at enquires@qaa.ac.uk


General questions

I have a complaint about my university. What should I do?

You should first follow the complaints procedure of the institution concerned, then, if necessary, contact the OIA or the SPSO. QAA has no power to consider personal complaints from students or staff.

If you supply evidence that the institution has jeopardised academic standards or the quality of its programmes QAA will consider opening a Causes for Concern enquiry.

​​​Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) (opens in new window)

Telephone: +44 (0)118 959 9813

Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) (opens in new window)

Telephone: +44 (0)800 377 7330

Concerns about standards and quality in higher educat​ion

Is X course at ​X university accredited/recognised?

Lists of recognised universities and providers are held by BIS.

Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) (opens in new window)

What level is my qualification?

Your awarding institution will be able to tell you. QAA's frameworks for higher education qualifications in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and Scotland outline the different levels.

Frameworks for higher education qualifications

Where can I find, review and compare official information about higher​ education providers?

Official information regarding subjects and universities/colleges can be found at the Unistats website.

​Unistats (opens in new windo​w)

How do I apply to university?

For full-time undergraduate courses, contact UCAS. For part-time or postgraduate courses, apply to the institution you wish to study at.

UCAS (opens in new window)

Where can I find information on further education or lower level qualifications?

Ofqual, and in Scotland the SQA, can answer queries about lower level qualifications. QAA deals with higher education.

Ofqual (opens in new window)

Scottish Qualifications Author​ity (SQA) (opens in new window)

I have a qualification from X country. What is the equivalent as a UK qualification?

UK NARIC (opens in new window) provides information on the comparability of international qualifications.

What is Access to Higher Education (HE)? How do I apply?

The Access to HE website (opens in new win​dow) provides full details including courses and providers in your local area.

Does QAA review Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)?

At present, QAA does not review Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs). For more information, please see our Statement on Massive Open Online Courses (PDF, 68KB).


Questions about our Concerns Scheme

​Who can raise a concern with QAA?

Any individual or organisation anywhere in the world may raise a concern with us.

What kind of concerns can you investigate?

We can investigate concerns about standards, quality and information that higher education providers produce about their learning opportunities, with respect to providers of UK higher education. The Concerns wizard can help you identify if your concerns are something we can investigate.

Can I raise a concern about a course at a further education college?

It depends on the level of the course: if your concern is about is a higher education course, we may be able to investigate; if it is not, then we cannot investigate, but the Skills Funding Agency may be able to. The Skills Funding Agency must investigate allegations of irregularity in further education colleges. It can also investigate complaints about the quality or management of learning provision, undue delay or non-compliance with published procedures, poor administration, equal opportunities, and health and safety.

I am one of a group of students on the same course and we all have the same concerns about it. What should we do?

We can investigate concerns raised by groups of students. The documents in support of the concern need only be submitted once, but every student needs to complete and sign their own submission form to ensure we have the information we need.

Link to our Submission form

I live abroad. Can you still investigate my concern if I am not in the UK?

Yes, as long as you provide us with all your contact details. We can correspond with you via email.

I would like to take legal action against the higher education provider I am concerned about. Can you help?

No, we cannot help you with this. Our remit is to investigate concerns about academic standards and quality, and advise the relevant HE funding body if a higher education provider is not managing its responsibilities properly. We cannot compel universities or colleges to offer anyone any kind of compensation or redress, or support those raising concerns should they wish to try and do so through the courts.

My concern has been upheld and I want my higher education provider to remark my work. Can QAA make it do this?

The aim of an investigation by QAA under the Concerns Scheme is to safeguard and improve the overall quality of UK higher education by addressing weaknesses within a particular higher education provider. We cannot compel universities or colleges to take any particular action for individual students in response to our investigations.

Why can QAA only investigate concerns about ongoing issues?

We have no remit to compel higher education providers to offer complainants any kind of compensation or redress for past problems which have been rectified. Therefore, it is beyond our remit and our mission to investigate concerns about issues which have been resolved.

Can I raise concerns about a private or alternative higher education provider?

We can investigate private or alternative higher education providers which have applied to QAA for educational oversight, applied to QAA for Reviews for Specific Course Designation or those which provide higher education programmes validated by a UK university. If in doubt, please contact us.

The higher education provider I am concerned about is not one of your subscribers. What do I do?

We can investigate concerns about any provider with higher educaiton programmes validated by a UK university. If in doubt, please contact us.

I want to remain anonymous. Can I do that?

If you do not want to be identified by name during the investigation, you can tell us on the submission form. Please note that, although QAA will not disclose your personal details without your permission, by completing the submission form you give permission to QAA to discuss details of your case with the higher education provider concerned, and any other appropriate organisations that we may need to consult in the course of our investigations. It is important you are aware that we may not always be able to preserve your anonymity as you may be identifiable to the provider through the details of your submission.

What happens to the higher education provider if my concern is upheld?

We will make recommendations and agree an action plan with the provider. We will publish a report, an action plan, and a statement alongside the action plan when it is complete.

We will inform the relevant higher education funding body, which may take further action. However, we cannot compel the provider to offer you any kind of compensation or redress.

Can QAA assist me in obtaining refunds for tuition fees?

We do not resolve individual complaints against providers and we are unable to provide redress or compensation to any individual submitting a complaint to us. As such, we are unable to provide assistance for any claims against a provider for a tuition fee refunds.

However, we can look at individual complaints for evidence of broader failings in the management of academic quality and standards. Where we consider that these indicate serious systemic or procedural problems, we will investigate them as concerns.


Questions about Degree-awarding Powers and University Titles

Who grants degree-awarding powers and university title?

The power to award degrees is regulated by law. To be able to award a recognised higher education degree in the UK, an organisation must be authorised by statute, by Royal Charter or by Act of Parliament. The Further and Higher Education Act 1992 (FHEA 1992) and the Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Act 1992 authorised the Privy Council (opens in a new window) to specify institutions of higher education as competent to grant taught degree-awarding powers (TDAP) and research degree-awarding powers (RDAP). These Acts also authorised the Privy Council to approve the use of the word 'university' (including 'university college') in the title of a higher education institution. Amendments to the FHEA 1992 enabled the Privy Council to grant Foundation Degree awarding powers (FDAP) to further education institutions in England from 2008 and in Wales from 2010.

What powers are granted?

There are three different types of power that may be granted:

Foundation Degree awarding powers (FDAP) give further education colleges the right to award Foundation Degrees.

Taught degree-awarding powers (TDAP) give organisations the right to award taught degrees up to levels 6/7 of The framework for higher education qualifications in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and up to levels 10/11 of The framework for qualifications of the higher education institutions in Scotland (see Quality Code, Chapter A1)

Research degree-awarding powers (RDAP) give organisations that already hold TDAP the right to award doctoral degrees, and master's degrees where the research component (including a requirement to produce original work) is larger than the taught component when measured by student effort.

Who can apply for degree-awarding powers?

Applicants for DAP must meet all the prerequisites and criteria set out in the relevant guidance. They must be able to demonstrate that they are well founded, cohesive and self-critical academic communities with an established track record in providing higher education, combined with firm guardianship of their standards.

In broad terms, applicants for Foundation Degree awarding powers must be further education institutions with at least a four-year track record of offering higher education provision in England or Wales on behalf of a recognised body (opens in a new window). Applicants for research degree-awarding powers must already have taught degree-awarding powers and must meet additional criteria relating to their research community. QAA scrutinises all applications against the government-owned criteria and guidance. On this basis, we provide confidential advice to ministers as to whether applicants should be granted the powers for which they are applying.

Who can apply for university title?

For university title (UT) in England and Wales, applicants must have taught-degree awarding powers. The criteria are set out in our guidance criteria and on the BIS website (opens in a new window).

For UT in Scotland and Northern Ireland, applicants must also have research degree-awarding powers and meet certain numerical criteria, as described in the 1999 guidance on applications within the guidance and criteria section.

How does an organisation apply for degree-awarding powers?

A formal application should be made to the Privy Council in the form of a critical self-analysis, prefaced by a letter from the chair of the organisation's governing body. A letter from the head of its main validating institution(s) should also be provided with the application. Evidence on which the critical self-analysis is based should also be uploaded to QAA. The applicant is also required to complete templates indicating where in the critical self-analysis and in its evidence base it addresses the criteria and associated evidence required.

For more details see the guidance for applicants.

What is the role of the devolved administrations in the UK?

An application for DAP or UT is made to the Privy Council and to the relevant government department with responsibility for higher education. In England this is the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS). In Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland the responsibility lies with the departments responsible for higher education in the devolved administrations. QAA will consider and scrutinise an application upon receipt of a request from the relevant government department to do so, and will then advise the relevant minister accordingly.

What criteria are applied?

Applications are considered against a specified set of government-owned criteria, depending upon the type of degree-awarding powers sought, and upon the provider's location within the UK. Full details of the separate sets of guidance can be found on the guidance for applicants page. QAA will assess, through examination of the evidence provided, and against the criteria, the extent to which a higher education provider can engender public confidence in its capacity to maintain the academic standards of the degrees it offers in the UK and, where relevant, overseas.

What is QAA's role in the process?

QAA offers confidential advice to government. Once the Privy Council (via the relevant government department) asks QAA to consider an application, it is submitted to QAA's Advisory Committee on Degree Awarding Powers (ACDAP), which determines whether the application should proceed to detailed scrutiny. If so, QAA appoints a team to carry out such scrutiny, resulting in a report to ACDAP and, ultimately, to the QAA Board. This, in turn, informs QAA's advice to government.

What happens during the scrutiny process?

If the Advisory Committee on Degree Awarding Powers (ACDAP) agrees to proceed to the detailed scrutiny stage, QAA appoints a scrutiny team which considers and tests the evidence provided by the applicant to support its claim to meet the criteria for DAP or UT. The team members consider the documentary evidence and, collectively and individually, will visit the applicant organisation for meetings and observations. For taught degree-awarding powers and Foundation Degree awarding powers, this process typically takes place over an academic cycle, although this will depend on the quality and robustness of the evidence available. For research degree-awarding powers and university title, the detailed scrutiny period is generally shorter. At the end of the detailed scrutiny, the team submits a report to ACDAP.

QAA will be assessing, through its examination of the evidence provided, and against the criteria, the extent to which a higher education provider can engender public confidence in its capacity to maintain the academic standards of the degrees it offers in the UK and, where relevant, overseas. For more details see the page detailing the guidance for applicants.

What is the Advisory Committee on Degree Awarding Powers?

Currently the Advisory Committee on Degree Awarding Powers (ACDAP) comprises 14 members, representing a range of higher education providers and including two with experience of major sectors of employment. It is responsible for overseeing the scrutiny processes, and for making recommendations on applications to the QAA Board.

How much does it cost?

Costs are based on the type of awarding powers applied for and whether the applicant organisation is a subscriber to QAA: details of the fee structure.

Does QAA publish its findings?

Unlike QAA's review work, our consideration and scrutiny of applications for DAP and UT is work commissioned by government and is of a confidential, advisory nature.

Are the awarding powers permanent?

Organisations in the publicly funded higher education sector will be granted taught and research degree-awarding powers on an indefinite basis. All remaining organisations, including applicants for Foundation Degree awarding powers, will be granted their powers for a fixed term of six years, after which they can apply to the Privy Council for renewal (subject to a satisfactory review by QAA).


Whom should we contact for further information?

From time to time there may be changes to government policy that impact on the information offered here. Updates and other items of interest will be published on this website. For further information on making an application for degree-awarding powers or university title, please contact us at enquiries@qaa.ac.uk.