The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) safeguards the public interest in sound standards of higher education qualifications, and informs and encourages continuous improvement in the management of the quality of higher education. The QAA Board appoints committees to help it, and QAA, achieve its aims. They are advisory in their nature and as such do not have any formal delegated decision-making authority. Strategic Advisory Committees play a key role in advising the Board on the formulation and delivery of the QAA strategy to ensure that it takes into account the views of key stakeholder groups.
The Student Strategic Advisory Committee has responsibilities to:
- provide the Board with key information and forward-looking intelligence regarding the legislative, regulatory, funding and policy environment likely to affect the experience of students in UK higher education
- recommend strategic responses to developments and changes in the legislative, regulatory, funding and policy environment likely to affect the experience of students in UK higher education
- advise QAA staff on the development of any work that has substantive implications for current or prospective students studying higher education
- advise the Board regarding the continued validity, appropriateness and relevance of QAA's work for students in UK higher education
- provide independent and objective counsel to, and acting as a sounding board for, the Board.
The Student Strategic Advisory Committee is also an opportunity to influence the work of a national agency, meet like-minded people and become more involved in QAA's work in the higher education sector.
The Student Strategic Advisory Committee will meet three times per academic year. Full travel expenses will be paid in line with QAA's travel and subsistence policy.
Applications are welcome from elected sabbatical officers, registered students and students who have graduated within the last two years. Membership will last for one academic year with the option of and additional one year renewal.
QAA want to ensure that the Student Strategic Advisory Committee represents the widest possible range of students, and are therefore particularly keen to hear from applicants who are studying or have recently completed an Access to Higher Education course, Welsh and Northern Irish higher education students, or student representatives from higher education in further education providers, as well as students or student representatives from private sector universities and colleges. We would also particularly welcome applications from international students studying within UK higher education and those who are undertaking a higher apprenticeship.
If you would like an informal conversation about the role, you can contact Amy Spencer, Programme Coordinator on 01452 389642 or email@example.com.
Closing date for all applications: Thursday 31 August 2017.
One-year membership with option of renewing for one further year.
Wednesday 1 November 2017
Tuesday 13 February 2018
Tuesday 15 May 2018
Plus induction on Tuesday 31 October 2017 (this is optional, but strongly recommended).
Student Advisory Committee context and role description (PDF, 94KB)
Student Advisory Committee terms of reference (PDF, 33KB)
Student Advisory Committee application form 2017-18 (DOC, 51KB)
Student Advisory Committee role specification (PDF, 33KB)