What is student engagement?
Student engagement is all about involving and empowering students in the process of shaping the student learning experience. QAA is committed to working with higher education institutions and students' unions to help them develop the tools to actively involve students in the organisation of their own learning and student experience.
A text-only version of this video is also available.
How does student engagement fit into QAA's work?
QAA has made a commitment in its Strategy 2011-14 to listen and respond to the student voice: one of our four key aims is to meet students' needs and be valued by them. We will:
- support universities and colleges as they aim to meet and shape students' expectations
- communicate clearly to students about standards and quality
- work with students as partners and protect their interests
- respond to the diverse views and needs of students.
Involving students in QAA's work
We aim to put students at the heart of quality issues and involve them in QAA's work. So far in 2013-14:
- over 400 students have worked with us at training events, workshops and roundtable discussions in the last year alone, becoming involved with and giving feedback on quality assurance issues
- we have invested £200,000 into a collaborative project with NUS
- 90 student reviewers have joined our review teams across the UK and we regularly recruit more
- We have two student members who sit on our Board of Directors, including a representative from NUS
- student representatives have met influential leaders in the higher education sector at our series of Quality Matters events
- our representative Student Advisory Board (previously the Student Sounding Board) has met regularly with QAA's Board of Directors and Chief Executive, to act as a critical friend and formal advisory committee to the QAA Board
- we have consulted students on the development of each chapter of the Quality Code, which will set out expectations for the standards and quality that all higher education providers are expected to meet
- lead student representatives have used our support to help them prepare for QAA reviews at their universities or colleges.
You can read about what we are currently working on in the student engagement projects section.
If you would like to get involved in quality assurance and enhancement at your own university or college, take a look at our student guides to QAA reviews.