We are an independent body, a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee.
Read our Articles of Association (PDF 264KB)
QAA is funded through a number of channels:
- subscriptions from higher education providers (all publicly funded higher education providers in the UK subscribe to QAA and pay an annual fee, as do some that are not publicly funded)
- contracts and agreements with the UK funding councils and organisations to which QAA reports annually
- providers of higher education seeking educational oversight for immigration purposes as required by the Home Office (opens in a new window) pay a fee to be reviewed by a QAA team, as well an annual maintenance charge
- contracts with the General Osteopathic Council (GOsC), and with the National College for Teaching and Leadership for Early Years Professional Status (EYPS)
- additional private contracts, consultancy and business development work in the UK and internationally.
We are governed by our Board. The Board is responsible for policy development, for the conduct of our finances, and for monitoring our performance against agreed targets at a corporate level.
Our Chief Executive is appointed by and is accountable to the Board. Their role is to provide day-to-day leadership of QAA and its programmes of work, including the setting and achievement of corporate objectives in line with the Board’s strategic direction. The Chief Executive is responsible for:
- The overall organisation, management and staffing of QAA, including its corporate, financial, estate and personnel management
- The propriety and regularity of QAA’s finances, and the efficient, effective and economical use of resources
We have five directors, each responsible for one of our five organisational groups:
- Public Engagement
- QAA Scotland
- Research, Development and Partnerships (to be re-named Quality Development)
To help us achieve our mission and strategic aims, we have set up agreements with a number of other organisations. Whilst we operate independently of them, it is mutually beneficial to work with them on certain projects or in certain circumstances.
We are committed to working professionally according to approved external standards.
For further information please see the following links;
Minutes of Board meetings